Saturday, September 17, 2011

Run. Dani. Run.

.
At some point, I became a "runner". I have no idea how or even why really. But, I did. Some days - gasp - I'm even find myself really really liking it! I'm not going to say "love" because that is still WAY too strong of a word for it. When I think back to where I was a year ago, I smile. I'm proud. I want to run some more and see where I might be next year at this time.


Some days, however, you could NOT pay me to run. I still lack the motivation sometimes. Mostly when there is something better or fun to do. Which, honestly, is a lot. Thankfully, I have really awesome people like this that keep me going!





Sarah and I ran our first 10k together this last August. I kinda had to guilt her into doing it with me, but then it was her that was yelling at me (okay, nicely motivating me) at the end to keep going. It wasn't an easy race for me. It was at 1:30pm in the afternoon and it was a warm day. Not hot, but warm. But even on a warm day, the afternoon sun KILLS me. It wasn't the easiest of races for me. But, we did it. We did it in 1:08:13 (or something like that). I was proud of that and looked forward to do another. Why? I have no idea.

About 10 days after that I did the Warrior Dash. Honesly, I wasn't sold on the idea in the beginning, or even that a.m. But, as soon as it started I was excited. It was fun. It was relaxed. It was silly. Parts of it were hard and I have the bruises to show for it! It wasn't a race for speed (or at least for me) it was a race for bragging rights. I did it. I conquered the race. And, along the way, I had a bunch of fun with some really fun ladies! Thanks gals - I can't wait to do it again!!!










A week later, I had my second 10k. It was just me and my dead iPod. Needless to say, I had an opportunity to work on my pace and listen to my breathing. It was actually a good thing. I really enjoyed it and I got a GREAT time. Or at least a great time for me. I was really pleased with it!!! I finished somewhere around 1:06:20. The timing chip mat wasn't working at the start, so we were all at "gun" time. Which, since I'm SLOW, I start in the back. In this case, I sure wish I hadn't! Oh well, next year!


Here I am at the beginning of the race - don't I look thrilled to be running 6.2 miles at 9am? Oh well, it is the only photo I have.




My 2011 racing season is over now. Hopefully I will be able to maintain some sort of motivation over the winter and still have the desire to do a few more races come this spring! Although I might not do three within 2 1/2 weeks again! Until then. Keep telling me to run!

2 comments:

  1. You have done AMAZING!! I am beyond proud of you...watching what you've done this past year, where you started and where you ended up! 5 races...Wow! You are an inspiration to me and our family. I love that Abby wants to go running with you (even though she gripes about it after wards, she at least keeps *wanting* to go with you) and Andy too (although his version of running involves a rolling chariot)...he at least is getting excited about it and that will eventually turn into a desire to go with you just like sister. You are a such a great role-model for the kids and I love you for that among many, many other things. I love you and look forward to supporting you next year! Maybe even joining you...we'll see...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you! I think it has been awesome to watch you transform into a serious runner chick. It's inspiring and impressive to see your motivation and your willingness to "just do it" on those hard days when you just dont want to. I'm impressed and happy and proud for you! Great job lady.(;

    ReplyDelete