Sunday, October 10, 2010

Denver Trip - Day FOUR

Day #4 in Denver started off w/a piano recital by none other than my two kids! They were so dang cute sitting there together it made me want to run out and buy a piano - almost. Do you know how loud, and bad, and loud, and bad, and loud two kids can be on one piano in one house? Wow. But they were cute. Very cute. I love the smile on Andy's face - so proud of himself!




After that, we took a day trip up to Estes Park. Now I have been to Denver four times. I have also been to Estes four times. In fact it has been the one constant to all my trips. Each time I have visited Courtney, she has lived in a different Denver area. But, each time, somehow... we end up in Estes!

Estes is a cute little touristy town. It has the Stanley Hotel from the "Shining" there. Now, I know what you are going to say "No Danielle. The Shining was filmed at Timberline". Yes, it was. But, they used the Stanley Hotel as well. So there.

We have done numerous things there. Once we took pictures of the hotel and the Elk that were walking around outside of it. One time we found a Swedish Shop and stocked up on Diam Candy Bars - random. Once we ate at the Estes Park Brewery. Um, let's just say they should leave the Microbrews up to the NW and stick to Bud and Coors in Colorado! :) Once, the first time, I don't think I left the touristy street w/the 10,000 candy and t-shirt shops. But, each time we have done something different - so it is fun!

This is the view as you are driving into Estes. It is just so cool - views like this are why I always have to get to the Rockies when I visit Denver. It would be like going to Oregon w/out visiting the Beach - you just can't miss it!


Once in Estes proper - and by that, I mean Touristy Row, we HAVE to stop and get our "old time" photo done. I'm not sure why. The first time I went w/Trav, we did it for fun. Both of us had always wanted to do one...
This was March of 2005 - Right before we got married...


The next time was November of 2007. Little Abby was 15 months old and just as cute as a button! To this day, this photo is framed in my living room. No small feat for those of you that have seen the number of photos I cycle thru my frames!



This time we added a 4th to the picture and I have to say, he gives the "button" a run for her money! :) But, I have to say she looks adorable in this one as well - this is up on my fireplace as we speak!



Next was Pizza at this hole in the wall place that I WILL go back to some day. It was so yummy, next time I might go to Estes just for that!
After lunch we did some "high speed" gift shopping. Hard to do w/four kids that want to hit the candy store and have nap time looming. But, we did it and we headed up to the Ranch for horseback rides. Definitely a highlight for Abby, and I have to give props to my iPhone on this one. I just randomly Googled "things to do in Estes w/kids" into it and wha-la. Pony Rides. Duh, what can be more Colorado-ish than a pony ride in the Rockies!?!?!?

Abby picked out Duke and I have to say, that this, her new "cousins", and the Kangaroo at the Zoo, are they three things I hear about from this trip. Her and Duke toured the resort area and the barnyard for close to 1/2 hour. She LOVED it and was pretty darn cute as well.
Andy was SO interested in what Abby was doing and showed NO fear of the horse. He kept toddling after her down the gravel road and I could NOT keep him out of the dust and grime and from tripping over rocks. He had to get to her. Not that the grassy area was much better I discovered. Can we say Deer Droppings? OMG, what do they feed those Deer in Colorado - it was everywhere!? Anyway... Off topic... Andy got to sit on the Pony as well and was just so happy to be like big sister!



After our 1/2 hour was up, we bid Duke our good-byes and headed back into Denver.




This was our view as we left Estes. Again, just pretty. Kids slept on the way home, so Trav and I got to enjoy the scenery and the quiet drive!




We got home from Estes, packed swim suits, and headed off to the Greeley Funplex. Yes, we crammed all of this into ONE day. The kids were GREAT and we wanted to take them swimming because 1) I knew they would love it, and 2) we had already told them we were going. So, off to the Funplex we went and it was COOL! It is like a Mini Great Wolf Lodge - complete w/dumping bucket - the whole works. It was so much fun and I'm glad we went!







No comments:

Post a Comment